Asian Conference: Executive Director
The Executive Director provides leadership, guidance, oversight and historical perspective to ensure planning runs smoothly and that the event successfully meets the organization’s goals. He/she provides critical input into and approval of decisions to ensure continuity, and answers questions about processes, providing a historical point of view from experience and lessons learned from prior years’ conference committees. The Executive Director is a member of the conference committee and leadership team, and should be included in all committee chair/leadership calls and communications, as well as informed of items that will be brought to the board. The Executive Director also serves as liaison among all MBA CSEA committees, assisting with opportunities for cross-committee communication and collaboration when needed.
- Revise conference SOP's, timeline and other committee resources on an annual basis. Train committee members on SOP's and introduce committee tools at the beginning of the year, providing reminders as needed throughout the planning process. Answer questions from committee members about the SOP's and other tools.
- Approve subcommittee leadership and committee volunteer assignments, providing both a historical and long term perspective to ensure volunteer assignments are well-managed and skill sets are considered.
- Work with conference co-chairs to ensure committees are utilized and a manageable workload is maintained, providing reminders and assistance as needed.
- Work with conference co-chairs to manage overall conference timeline.
- Review and approve overall conference schedule.
- Work with the Board Liaison and Conference Co-chairs to ensure the Conference Policies are followed.
- Review, approve and sign all conference contracts.
- Process conference payments (see for payment specifications).
- Coordinate committee thank you event at hotel.
- Create PowerPoint presentation that runs throughout the conference and provides recognition of sponsors, exhibitors, all MBA CSEA volunteers, etc.
- Prepare handout for business meeting for the President.
- Send Committee Chairs last minute checklist.
- Send Committee Chairs on-site instructions, including registration instructions.
- Sign hotel contract and confirm final details.
- Approve gala venue selection and food and beverage menu.
- Reach out to gala venue to develop contract.
- Approve hotel food and beverage menu selection and A/V order.
- Work with MCI event planning firm to ensure deadlines are met and obligations are upheld with regards to the hotel contract.
- Approve any changes to the hotel contract, or any items that require a financial commitment.
- Manage hotel room night process, providing reminders as needed to those who have not booked a hotel room.
- Secure space for bag stuffing at hotel.
- Review hotel banquet event order (BEO) and A/V order for accuracy prior to the conference, and sign indicating approval.
- Purchase speaker gifts, as selected by the Local Arrangements Committee and outlined in Conference Policies.
- Send an email to those with dietary restrictions, letting them know the hotel and gala food situation.
- Manage the relationship with the MBA CSEA Graphic Designer to design the conference logo and printed program. Manage the design and editing process for the logo and conference program, with input and assistance from the Marketing Committee as needed.
- Oversee overall conference web site and marketing presence.
- Manage conference web site and online registration process (along with the Administrative Assistant).
- Approval of conference signage.
- Work with marketing subcommittee to distribute communications in alignment with the organizational communications plan. Assist marketing subcommittee with ensuring organizational brand is carried through in all conference collateral.
- Approve communications plan.
- Work with committee to distribute social media promotions.
- Coordinate conference photographer, including vendor selection and on-site logistics. Send photographer a schedule of responsibilities, including dates, times and specific rooms, as well as sample pictures from past events. Request that he/she be stealth with picture taking during sessions, ensure that flashes are not used as it disturbs speakers. Request that no wide angle lenses be used for group pictures. Request a one week turnaround time for electronic photo delivery.
- Review and approve A/V requests.
- Work with the Programs sub-committee to ensure conference programming meets the strategic goals of the organization. Provide input and advice into speaker and topic selections as needed.
- Distribute Call for Programs, if needed(content provided by Programs Committee)
- Check with the Standards Committee about the amount of time needed for training.
- Review the keynote speaker list before it is sent to the board for review.
- Approve special requests for programming as per the Conference Policies.
Sponsors & Exhibitors
- Provide input into proposed Sponsor and Exhibitor Menu before it goes to the board for approval.
- Distribute initial Call for Sponsors and Exhibitors for all MBA CSEA Conferences.
- Make revisions to Sponsor and Exhibitor contract as needed.
- Arrange for sponsor thank you notes and gifts.
- Approve special requests made, including changes to Sponsor and Exhibitor Menu or individual requests made by sponsors or exhibitors.
- Provide historical information and input into vendor expectations.
- Help ensure sponsors receive everything promised to them in the Sponsorship Menu.
- Send Sponsor and Exhibitor preview email to conference attendees.
- Send targeted emails to conference participants (if included in sponsor packages).
- Do twitter and LinkedIn callouts for sponsors.
- Review draft budget before sending to the board for approval
- Make sure deposits are paid to the hotel as needed
- Prepare a final financial document with revenue and expense figures after the event concludes
- Work with the committee and Administrative Assistant to facilitate the creation and review of the conference registration web site
- Send committee list of items needed for registration web site
- Send last minute reminder email to conference attendees
- Put together registration instructions/checklist for committee to use on-site
- Send Local Arrangements committee final registration list for nametags
- Distribute post-event evaluation to conference attendees
- Prepare and distribute conference evaluation. Provide evaluation results to committee in advance of debrief
- Lead conference de-brief with subcommittee leaders to discuss feedback and provide recommendations for next year’s committee.