Awards & Recognition Committee SOP's
Revised January, 2023
Committee RoleThe Awards and Recognition Committee facilitates the recognition of significant contributions of members and non-members in support of the MBA CSEA through the annual awards program. To achieve that, the committee:
- Determines guidelines for award criteria, consulting with the board when major changes are made.
- Works with the Executive Director to manage the awards nomination communications process. Solicits additional nominations from the membership (see nominations process).
- Manages award selection process. Evaluates nominations received. Selects award winners based on nomination criteria and input from the board as needed. Notifies award winners.
- Manages distribution of awards at annual conferences, if feasible. If needed, the Executive Director and/or board representatives can distribute the awards.
See the navigation links on the top left side of this page for additional, more specific procedures.
Click here for descriptions of the awards, including criteria.
Committee Leadership RolesCommittee Chair
- Leads the Awards Committee meetings, putting together an agenda in advance and assigning someone to take notes.
- Works with the Executive Director to establish the nominations timeline each year
- Assists with revising the nominations communications
- Conducts individual outreach to increase awards nominations if needed (or appoints committee members to do so)
- Distributes the awards (or appoints someone to distribute awards in his/her absence).
- Serves as a non-voting member of the Awards Committee, providing critical institutional knowledge and insight into each nominee’s contributions to the organization.
- Attends all committee meetings and is included on committee communications.
- Schedules committee meetings and sends calendar invites.
- If none of the committee members are on the board, the ED serves as a liaison between the board and the committee.
- Revises the award descriptions and communications on an annual basis as needed.
- Distributes Call for Nominations to CSEA membership.
- Encourages board members and committee chairs to nominate people for awards.
- Works with the commtitee chair to conduct individual outreach to solicit nominations if needed.
The committee is appointed by the Committee Chair and the Executive Director, and typically consists of one or more board members and at least two non-board members. When possible, the committee should include at least one school member and one employer member. In an effort to maintain a high level of consistency and continuity with awards decisions, committee members should be seasoned professionals and long-time MBA CSEA members with a wide breadth of knowledge about the organization. Ideally, no more than one new committee member will be added each year depending on need. The ideal number of committee members is five. Ideal skills sets include: seasoned professional with experience in multiple areas within the organization (preferably leadership roles), ability to think critically and remain neutral in making awards decisions, ability and desire to apply awards decisions consistently from year to year.
One member of the committee is typically a member of the Board of Directors and serves as Board Liaison to the committee. The Board Liaison’s role is to communicate with the board regarding the committee’s progress as needed. This includes delivering formal reports on committee progress and plans during in-person board meetings and capturing the board’s feedback about the award selections before the award winners are announced. If none of the committee members are board members, the ED may serve in this capacity.
|Committee meets to evaluate program and make recommendations for changes if needed.
|Solicit nominations from the membership via email and to target groups.
|Deadline to submit nominations.
|Committee meets to review award nominations and make recommendations.
|Month prior to each conference (February, March, May)
|Board is notified of potential award selections and asked for feedback. Final award selections are made, after considering the board’s feedback.
|Awards are distributed at conferences, as appropriate