European Conference: Board Liaison
The Board Liaison to the European Conference provides strategic input and oversight to ensure organizational goals are met. He/she works with the Conference Co-chairs and Executive Director to make sure the Conference Policies, roles and responsibilities are followed and manages board involvement in the conference as needed – including action items are listed in these SOP’s, as well as additional times when the board’s input would be helpful, such as when a significant change is suggested that will affect the strategic priorities.
- Provide insight into high level decisions, including situations that have long term impact on the organization such as exceptions made to Conference Policies and changes to the Sponsor Menu or payment policies.
- Communicate board and organizational goals to committees and work with the Executive Director and Conference Committee members to ensure they are carried through in all conference planning.
- Obtain regular updates from the committee regarding progress made toward goals and provide input, direction and advice as needed.
- Work with the Executive Director and Board Liaisons for the other conferences to create the Sponsor & Exhibitor prospectus for board approval.
- Facilitate communication between board and conference subcommittees as needed, including:
- Send the draft budget to the board for approval
- Send a draft list of keynote speakers to the board for review and first right of refusal. Provide the board's feedback to the conference committee.
- Obtain board feedback for any major changes to the conference that affect the board's strategic priorities (such as employer engagement)
- See the Conference Policies for additional items the board votes on and provides input into.
- Communicate with the committee regarding ideas or suggestions affecting the conference that are brought up during board meetings.
- Along with the President and Executive Director, selects the conference chair(s).
- Along with the Conference Chairs and Executive Director, make sure Conference Policies are followed.
- Participate in regular meetings with the Conference Committee, as well as conference leadership meetings, to ensure open communication between the Committee and the Board.
- Present the board with regular updates about the conference. Brief committee reports are provided verbally during monthly calls. More in-depth updates (one page in length) are provided in writing before each in-person board meeting. The Board Liaison provides the board with a financial summary and analysis once the financials are final at the conclusion of the event.
- Assist with the selection of conference co-chairs and conference location (see separate conference location SOP’s for more information about site selection).