Global Conference: Executive Director
The Executive Director co-manages the conference, providing leadership, guidance and strategic oversight to ensure planning runs smoothly and that the event successfully meets the organization’s goals. He/she provides critical input into decisions to ensure continuity and answers questions about processes, providing a historical point of view from experience and lessons learned from prior conferences. The Executive Director is a member of the conference committee and leadership team, and should be included in all committee chair/leadership calls and communications, as well as informed about items that will be brought ot the board. The Executive Director also serves as liaison among all MBA CSEA committees, assisting with opportuities for cross-committee communication and collaboration when needed.
- Revise conference SOP's, timeline and other committee resources on an annual basis. Train comittee members on SOP's and introduce committee tools at the beginning of the year, providing reminders as needed throughout the planning process. Answer questions from committee members about the SOP's and other tools.
- Approve subcommittee leadership and committee volunteer assignments, providing both a long term perspective to ensure volunteer assignments are well-managed.
- Work with conference co-chairs to ensure committees are utilized and a manageable workload is maintained.
- Work with conference and subcommittee co-chairs to manage overall conference timeline, providing reminders and assistance as needed.
- Review and approve overall conference schedule.
- Work with the Board Liaison and Conference Co-chairs to ensure the Conference Policies are followed.
- Approve and sign all conference contracts.
- Approve conference payments (see Conference Policies for payment specifications), providing advice regarding budget as needed. Approve budget items that will go above and beyond what was approved by the board.
- Along with Connections, ensure all deadlines are met and obligations are withheld with regards to the hotel contract. Manage hotel room nights process. Communicate with attendees as needed to remind them to book at hotel room. Receive a rooming list from Connections, and compare the list to the conference registration list to see who hasn't booked a room.
- Work with Connections to determine meeting room allocations, room assignments, and arrangements.
- Work with Connections and the hotel to ensure conference policies are followed with regards to employers and vendors hosting outside events.
- Along with Connections, determine food and beverage menu, with input from the Local Arrangements Committee as needed.
- Arrange food and beverage for gala event, with input from the Local Arrangements Committee.
- Approve any adjustments or addendums needed to the conference hotel contract.
- Review hotel banquet event order (BEO) and A/V order for accuracy prior to the conference, and sign hotel documentation indicating approval.
- Manage the relationship with the MBA CSEA Graphic Designer to design the conference logo and printed program. Manage the design and editing process for the logo and conference program, with input and assistance from the Marketing Committee as needed.
- Oversee overall conference web site and marketing presence. Work with marketing subcommittee to distribute communications in alignment with the organizational communications plan. Assist marketing subcommittee with ensuring organizational brand is carried through in all conference collateral.
- Distribute conference email communications to members, prospective members and conference attendees using organizational communication tool.
- Work with the committee to develop and implement a social media promotions plan. Disseminate conference information through MBA CSEA social media accounts.
- Coordinate conference photographer, including vendor selection and on-site logistics. Send photographer a schedule of responsibilities, including dates, times and specific rooms, as well as sample pictures from past events. Request that he/she be stealth with picture duringi sessions, ensure that flashes are not used as it disturbs speakers. Request that no wide angle lenses be used for group pictures. Request a one week turnaround time for electronic photo delivery.
- Along with Connections, review and approve A/V requests.
- Along with Connections, manage room assignments, taking into account estimated capacity provided by the Programs Committee. Send the draft list of assignments to the committee for review before finalizing.
- Manage HRCI certification process, including program submission and on-site administration. Work with the Programs subcommittee to ensure adequate representation of HRCI-qualified programs and that HRCI guidelines are followed.
- Work with the Programs sub-committee to ensure conference programming meets the strategic goals of the organization. Provide input and advice into speaker and topic selections as needed.
- Manage outreach process for session proposals that are needed to fill gaps in reaching the needs of target markets.
- Distribute Call for Programs (content provided by Programs Committee)
- Review the keynote speaker list before it is sent to the board for review.
- Approve special requests for programming as per the Conference Policies.
- Purchase speaker gifts, as outlined in Conference Policies.
Sponsors & Exhibitors
- Provide input into proposed Sponsor and Exhibitor Menu before it goes to the board for approval.
- Create Sponsor and Exhibitor contract.
- Distribute initial Call for Sponsors and Exhibitors for all MBA CSEA Conferences.
- Arrange for sponsors’ thank you gifts and notes.
- Approve special requests made, including changes to Sponsor and Exhibitor Menu or individual requests made by sponsors or exhibitors.
- Provide historical information and input into vendor expectations.
- Help ensure sponsors receive everything promised to them in the Sponsorship Menu.
- Create draft Exhibit Hall layout for committee review. Work with the hotel to obtain a layout of the space, and assign booths according to the S&E prospectus.
- Review draft budget before sending to the board for approval
- Make sure deposits are paid to the hotel as needed
- Approve expenses and send invoices to Bookkeeper for payment.
- Prepare a final financial document with revenue and expense figures after the event concludes
- Coordinate volunteer reception (for all MBA CSEA volunteers).
- Oversee arrangements for board meeting at the conference, including food, room set-up and other logistics.
- Create PowerPoint presentation that runs throughout the conference and provides recognition of sponsors, exhibitors, all MBA CSEA volunteers, etc.
- Order supplies from a local office supplies store in advance of the event.
- Arrange for paid staff to assist with pre-conference planning and registration on-site.
- Secure on-site volunteers for room captains, registration, etc. Send the list of volunteers to each respective committee for communication and on-site management.
- Along with Connections,, manage issues that arise with hotel, vendors, contractors, etc. Manage critical issues, changes, or anything with financial implications.
- Assist Conference Co-Chairs with management of overall on-site schedule, including announcements, timing of sessions, and board involvement.
- Sign Banquet Event Orders.
- Oversee conference photographer duties and committee pictures.
- Approve changes involving expenditures.
- Prepare and distribute conference evaluation. Provide evaluation results to committee in advance of debrief, including feedback from mobile app.
- Lead conference de-brief call with subcommittee chairs to discuss the process and make recommendations for the next year’s leadership.