Global Conference Leadership Team
The Executive Director provides leadership, guidance, oversight and historical perspective to ensure planning runs smoothly and that the event successfully meets the organization’s goals. The Executive Director is a member of the conference committee and leadership team, and should be included in all committee and leadership calls and communications, as well as informed of items that will be brought to the board. The Executive Director also serves as liaison among all MBA CSEA committees, assisting with opportunities for cross-committee communication and collaboration when needed.
- Revise conference SOP's, timeline and other committee resources on an annual basis. Train committee members on SOP's and introduce committee tools at the beginning of the planning period, providing reminders as needed throughout the planning process. Answer questions from committee members about the SOP's and other tools.
- Manage overall conference timeline, making adjustments as needed. Follow up with individual committee members to ensure tasks are being accomplished and provide support as needed.
- Work with subcommittee chairs to ensure committees are utilized and a manageable workload is maintained.
- Review and approve overall conference schedule.
- Work with the Board Liaison to ensure the Conference Policies are followed.
- Review, approve and sign all conference contracts.
- Approve conference expenses and payments.
- Coordinate committee thank you and recognition during the event.
- Host regular conference calls with the subcommittee leaders to discuss progress and make decisions.
- Manage volunteer involvement the day of the event, including room hosts and other responsibilities.
- Prepare and distributes post-event evaluation.
- Lead a de-brief call with the committees after the event to discuss the process and make recommendations for future event
- Manage the relationship with the MBA CSEA Graphic Designer to design the conference logo and and other collateral, with assistance from the committee as needed.
- Oversee overall conference web site and marketing presence.
- Manage conference web site and online registration process (along with the Administrative Assistant).
- Work with committee to distribute conference promotional communications.
- Distribute email communications to members and non-members.
- Work with organizational partners to increase marketing opportunities to non-members.
- Work with the committee to develop and implement a social media promotions plan. Disseminate conference information through MBA CSEA social media accounts.
- Coordinate conference photographer, if used.
- Manage the development of the printed program, working closely with the Graphic Designer. Obtain feedback from the subcommittees based on areas they are working on.
- Assist with the development of conference programming.
- Distribute Call for Programs to membership, if needed.
- Manage conference program schedule.
- Approve speakers.
- Assist with breakout session selection process, helping to ensure sessions meet the needs of the diverse member base and help meet overall organizational goals. Work with the board to approve and help manage sessions that involve vendors.
- Purchase speaker gifts, if used.
- Along with Connections, review and approve A/V requests.
- Along with Connections, manage room assignments, taking into account estimated capacity provided by the Programs Committee. Send the draft list of assignments to the committee for review before finalizing.
- Manage HRCI certification process, including program submission and on-site administration. Work with the Programs subcommittee to ensure adequate representation of HRCI-qualified programs and that HRCI guidelines are followed.
- Manage outreach process for session proposals that are needed to fill gaps in reaching the needs of target markets.
- Approve special requests for programming as per the Conference Policies.
Sponsors & Exhibitors
- Capture initial feedback from high-level sponsors and exhibitors to assist with the development of the S&E menu.
- Work with Board Liaison to develop Sponsor and Exhibitor Menu.
- Distribute initial Call for Sponsors and Exhibitors for all MBA CSEA Conferences.
- Make revisions to Sponsor and Exhibitor contract as needed.
- Arrange for sponsor thank you notes and gifts, if used.
- Approve special requests made, including changes to Sponsor and Exhibitor Menu or individual requests made by sponsors or exhibitors.
- Provide historical information and input into vendor expectations.
- Help ensure sponsors receive everything promised to them in the Sponsorship Menu.
- Do social media callouts for sponsors.
- Create draft modified exhibit area layout for committee input. Work with the hotel to obtain a layout of the space, and assign booths according to the S&E prospectus.
- Along with Connections, ensure all deadlines are met and obligations are withheld with regards to the hotel contract. Manage hotel room nights allocation process. Communicate with attendees as needed to remind them to book at hotel room. Receive a rooming list from Connections, and compare the list to the conference registration list to see who hasn't booked a room.
- Work with Connections to determine meeting room allocations, room assignments, and arrangements.
- Work with Connections and the hotel to ensure conference policies are followed with regards to employers and vendors hosting outside events.
- Along with Connections, determine food and beverage menu.
- Arrange food and beverage for gala event.
- Approve any adjustments or addendums needed to the conference hotel contract.
- Review hotel banquet event order (BEO) and A/V order for accuracy prior to the conference, and sign hotel documentation indicating approval.
- Review draft budget before sending to the board for approval.
- Track conference expenses as they are approved.
- Prepare a final financial document with revenue and expense figures after the event concludes.
- Coordinate volunteer reception (for all MBA CSEA volunteers).
- Oversee arrangements for board meeting at the conference, including food, room set-up and other logistics.
- Create PowerPoint presentation that runs throughout the conference and provides recognition of sponsors, exhibitors, all MBA CSEA volunteers, etc.
- Order supplies from a local office supplies store in advance of the event (with help from the Executive Assistant)
- Arrange for paid staff to assist with pre-conference planning and registration on-site.
- Secure on-site volunteers for room captains, registration, etc. Send the list of volunteers to each respective committee for communication and on-site management.
- Along with Connections, manage issues that arise with hotel, vendors, contractors, etc. Manage critical issues, changes, or anything with financial implications.
- Assist with management of overall on-site schedule, including announcements, timing of sessions, and board involvement.
- Sign Banquet Event Orders.
- Oversee conference photographer duties and committee pictures.
- Approve changes involving expenditures.
The Board Liaison to the Global Conference provides strategic input and oversight to ensure the conference activities are closely aligned with the organization’s goals and priorities. He/she works with the Executive Director and Subcommittee Chairs to make sure the Conference Policies, roles and responsibilities are followed and manages board involvement in the conference as needed - including action items that are listed in these SOP's, as well as additional times when the board's input would be helpful, such as when a significant change is suggested that will affect the strategic priorities.
- Communicate board and organizational goals to committees and work with the Executive Director and committee members to ensure they are carried through in all conference planning.
- Provide insight into high level decisions, including situations that have long term impact on the organization such as Conference Policies.
- Approve Sponsor and Exhibitor Menu.
- Serve as liaison between the board and committee, providing regular updates to the board about committee progress and needs for assistance needed.
- Work with the Executive Director to create the draft conference budget for the board to approve.
- Assist with individual committee responsibilities as needed.
- Along with the Executive Director, ensure Conference Policies are followed.
- Present the board with regular updates about the conference.
- Assist with the selection of conference subcommittee co-chairs.
- Participate in regular meetings with the Conference Committee, as well as conference leadership meetings, to ensure open communication between the Committee and the Board.
To assist with the workload and maintain a member focus for this large signature event, Conference Subcommittee Chairs will work closely with the Executive Director to help manage each individual area within the committee.
- Host subcommittee meetings on a regular basis to discuss progress and assist with shared decision-making. Note: the Executive Director may attend meetings as needed, based on the agenda.
- Ensure subcommittees are fulfilling responsibilities as outlined in the SOP's. Work with the Executive Director to ensure conference volunteers are utilized, a manageable workload is maintained, and the conference timeline is followed (with allowance for flexibility given the changing nature of the situation).
- Keep the Executive Director informed about subcommittee progress and assistance needed to meet goals and deadlines.
- Attend regular leadership meetings to collaborate with other subcommittee chairs and make decisions as needed.