Global Virtual Conference Committee SOP's
MBA CSEA conferences bring together schools and employers from across the globe for networking, learning, sharing, development and meaningful connections. While all of the in-person aspects of these events cannot be replaced through a virtual format, the Virtual Conference aims to replicate as many aspects of the conferences as possible, while also taking advantage of the additional opportunities that a virtual atmosphere provides. Best practices regarding virtual engagement, as well as feedback from members and overarching themes consistent with the current times, will be utilized in order to maximize the success of the event. The committee's goal is to remain nimble, responsive and flexible to ensure relevancy in the current environment.
The Board of Directors has the responsibility of overseeing the business of the association, and entrusts the Conference Committee with executing a successful event under the direction of the Executive Director and Board Liaison. Given the broad reach of the event, the need for continuity from year to year and the amount of time needed for successful execution, the conference is co-organized by volunteers and staff, with the Executive Director serving as the primary decision-maker when needed. The committee structure for the virtual conference was created with the goal of ensuring the event is member-focused while maximizing resources and making the best use of volunteer time.
The roles and responsibilities outlined in these SOP's (see the navigation links on the left side of the page) serve as a guideline to assist in the event planning, answer common questions, and provide clarification based on prior years’ experience. Committee members will work closely with the Executive Director and volunteer leaders to successfully deliver on the expectations. It is recommended that committee members review the SOP’s for all areas in order to understand the full scope of the responsibilities.
The Importance of SOP's and Policies from MBA CSEA on Vimeo.
- Strategic Alignment: Assist with achieving the overall strategic goals of MBA CSEA as established by the Board of Directors. Ensure the organization’s mission, vision and values are carried through in all aspects of the event. The board's focus for 2021 is maintaining and enhancing connections among members, providing much-needed support and collaboration.
- Professional Development: provide educational and benchmarking opportunities for MBA CSEA school and employer members, with a broad focus to meet the needs of our diverse global membership.
- Networking: assist school and employer members with building connections and partnerships (strong 2021 focus).
- Outreach: serve as a conduit to market MBA CSEA to and engage prospective school and employer members, as well as non-members that might benefit from participation and vendors that might be interested in sponsoring the event.
Overall Committee ResponsibilitiesIn addition to the tasks outlined in the individual areas (see the navigation links on the left side of the page), all committee members are expected to do the following in order to support the conference planning process:
- Read and understand these SOP's, the Conference Policies and the Conference Timeline (located in Smartsheet), and ask for clarification when needed.
- Utilize the committee planning and collaboration tools (OneDrive and Smartsheet).
- Attend planning calls as available (date and time to be set by the committee) and provide input into conference decisions. Maintain regular communication with the Executive Director and volunteer leaders in between calls to provide progress updates.
- Work together to develop an overall theme for the event.
- Support the conference marketing efforts by inviting school and employer contacts to the conference and sharing information on social media.
- In order to ensure the overall budget is maintained, all conference expenses must be approved by the Executive Director.
- Keep the Executive Director and Board Liaison informed of progress on a regular basis, alerting them as soon as possible if a task won't be able to be completed by the deadline.
The organization provides committees with a number of tools to assist with planning the event.
- Online collaboration documents - Smartsheet and OneDrive.
- Conference Policies