Research & Trends Committee SOP's
Updated July, 2019
The primary role of this committee is to conduct research on employment and recruiting trends that affect graduate business student hiring and recruitment, as well as internal surveys regarding career services and recruiting office operations. The committee also plays a role in assisting the Executive Director with managing research partnerships and relationships with outside entities (such as GMAC) and helps facilitate MBA CSEA’s involvement in outside research. Topics for research may include, but are not limited to: job market trends, career services salary information, and recruiter benchmarking data.
Deliverables are managed by a set of sub-committees/groups, and each group is led by one of the Committee Co-Chairs. Participation on at least one sub-committee/group is expected of all committee members, as well as regular attendance on monthly conference calls.
The ideal committee size is 8 - 10 members (including the Committee Co-Chairs and the Board Liaison). Ideal skills sets include familiarity with data analysis and research, overall industry knowledge, ability to decipher survey results into meaningful takeaways.
The committee should be representative of the membership as a whole, so that the surveys will be inclusive and representative. This should include small schools, large schools, top tier and non-top tier schools and geographic diversity (including members from Europe and Asia when possible). Employer members should be utilized as needed, such as when the Recruiter Benchmarking Survey is developed and interpreted. Ideal skills sets include: ability to make the time commitment to attend committee meetings and participate in a subcommittee, understanding of MBA CSEA's membership composition, ability to represent all facets of the membership, ability to understand and interpret research results and data (significant data analytics knowledge is not necessary).
Industry Insights (survey management firm)
The major organizational surveys (Recruitung Trends and Benchmarking surveys) are administered by an external research firm by the name of Industry Insights. The relationship with Industry Insights is managed by the Executive Director, with the committee chairs assisting with decision-making for the surveys as noted in the SOP's.communications with Industry Insights are managed by the Executive Director.
Committee Leadership Roles
- Oversees and is a member of the committee.
- Is included in all leadership and committee communications and committee debriefs.
- Is consulted about anything the committee will be bringing to the board.
- Approves surveys before being finalized and released to the membership.
- Distributes committee-related communications to the membership, including survey announcements and results.
- Serves as primary contact with research firm, Industry Insights.
- Serves as media liaison; writes and distributes press releases regarding survey results as appropriate . Serves as first point of contact for media inquiries about research results.
- Manages all other internal and external distribution of survey results.
- Serves as liaison among all MBA CSEA committees, assisting with opportunities for cross-committee communication and collaboration when needed.
- Serves as an additional resource to ensure the board and committee are working closely together.
- Communicates the board's strategic goals to the committee on a regular basis, and ensures they are accomplished.
- Is a member of the committee and is included on committee communication and leadership calls.
- Provides regular committee reports to the Board of Directors, and communicates feedback from board meetings to the committee as appropriate.
- Submits the committee's budget requests to the Treasurer each year.
- Host regular meetings with committee members in order to update progress and make decisions.
- Keep the Executive Director and Board Liaison up to date on committee progress in between meetings, as needed.
- Set and distribute an agenda for committee meetings, with input from the Executive Director and Board Liaison as needed.
- Ensure that minutes are taken at the meetings and distributed in a timely manner after the meeting has concluded (Note: the co-chairs are encouraged to delegate this responsibility to one or more committee members).
- Assign committee members to subcommittees/groups, and mange those groups; host subcommittee calls and email exchanges as needed.
Deliverables are as follows (see navigation links on this page for more details about each):
- Fall Recruiting Trends Survey
- Career Services Benchmarking Survey
- Recruiting Benchmarking Survey
- Flash Survey
- GMAC Corporate Recruiter Survey (partnership)
The committee utilizes online collaboration tools to assist with file sharing and project management.
The Executive Director coordinates organizational marketing and communication strategies. The results from surveys are distributed internally and externally in the following ways:
Distribution of Survey Results
- Survey results (or executive summaries, depending on the survey) are uploaded to the web site, and available to the public on the News & Research page.
- A link to the survey results appears on the index page on the web site, in the "What's New" section for three months (or until the next survey results are ready for distribution).
- One or more press releases are created by Industry Insights and the Executive Director, and distributed to the media by the Executive Director. Media mentions are included on the "In the News" page on the web site.
- A link to the survey results, as well as media mentions, are shared through MBA CSEA social media handles (Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook).
- Committee members are encouraged to write blogs about the survey results, including anecdotal information they are seeing within their own organizations.
- Survey results are distributed to the membership through a standalone email, and also featured in an e-newsletter.
Sample Survey Time Table (2019/2020)
|Summer/Early Fall 2019||Career Services Benchmarking Survey|
|Late December 2019/Early January 2020||Fall Recruiting Trends Survey|
|January/February 2020||GMAC Corporate Recruiters Survey|
|Summer 2020||Recruiter Benchmarking Survey|