Research & Trends Committee SOP's
The primary role of this committee is to conduct research on employment and recruiting trends that affect graduate business student hiring and recruitment, as well as internal surveys regarding career services and recruiting office operations. The committee also plays a role in assisting the Executive Director with managing research partnerships and relationships with outside entities (such as GMAC) and helps facilitate MBA CSEA’s involvement in outside research. Topics for research may include, but are not limited to: job market trends, career services salary information, and recruiter benchmarking data. Note that the organization may conduct additional research among members or non-members for purposes that span outside of this committee, such as member satisfaction surveys or interest in programming. The Reseearch & Trends Committee focuses only on employment and recruiting trends and operationals benchmarking.
Depending on the workload and committee structure, deliverables may be managed by a set of sub-committees/groups, with each group being led by one of the Committee Co-Chairs. If this model is used, participation on at least one sub-committee/group is expected of all committee members, as well as regular attendance on monthly conference calls.
Committee CompositionThe ideal committee size is 8 - 10 members (including the Committee Co-Chairs and the Board Liaison). Ideal skills sets include familiarity with data analysis and research, overall industry knowledge, understanding of MBA CSEA's membership composition, ability to represent all facets of the membership and the ability to decipher survey results into meaningful takeaways (significant data analytics knowledge is not necessary).
Committee Leadership Roles
- Oversees and is a member of the committee.
- Is included in all leadership and committee communications and committee debriefs.
- Is consulted about anything the committee will be bringing to the board.
- Approves surveys before being finalized and released to the membership.
- Distributes committee-related communications to the membership, including survey announcements and results.
- Serves as primary contact with any external research firms that might be utilized by the committee.
- Serves as media liaison; writes and distributes press releases regarding survey results as appropriate . Serves as first point of contact for media inquiries about research results.
- Manages all other internal and external distribution of survey results.
- Serves as liaison among all MBA CSEA committees, assisting with opportunities for cross-committee communication and collaboration when needed.
- Serves as an additional resource to ensure the board and committee are working closely together.
- Communicates the board's strategic goals to the committee on a regular basis, and ensures they are accomplished.
- Is a member of the committee and is included on committee communication and leadership calls.
- Provides regular committee reports to the Board of Directors, and communicates feedback from board meetings to the committee as appropriate.
- Submits the committee's budget requests to the Treasurer each year.
- Hosts regular meetings with committee members to update progress and make decisions.
- Keeps the Executive Director up to date on committee progress in between meetings, as needed.
- Sets and distributes an agenda for committee meetings, with input from the Executive Director as needed.
- Ensures that minutes are taken at the meetings and distributed in a timely manner after the meeting has concluded (Note: the co-chairs are encouraged to delegate this responsibility to one or more committee members).
- Assigns committee members to subcommittees/groups, and manages those groups; hosts subcommittee calls and email exchanges as needed.
Typical comimttee deliverables are as follows (see navigation links on this page for more details about each):
- Monthly Member Quick Surveys
- Fall Recruiting Trends Survey
- Career Services Benchmarking Survey
- Recruiting Benchmarking Survey
- Flash Surveys
- GMAC Corporate Recruiter Survey (partnership)
The committee utilizes online collaboration tools to assist with file sharing and project management.
The Executive Director coordinates all organizational marketing and communication strategies. The results from surveys are distributed internally and externally in the following ways:
Distribution of Survey Results
- Survey results (or executive summaries, depending on the survey) are uploaded to the web site, and available to the public on the News & Research page.
- For the larger yearly or bi-yearly surveys, a link to the results appears on the index page on the web site, in the "What's New" section for three months (or until the next survey results are ready for distribution).
- One or more press releases is created and distributed to the media by the Executive Director. Media mentions are included on the "In the News" page on the web site.
- A link to the survey results, as well as media mentions, is shared through MBA CSEA social media handles (Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook).
- Committee members are encouraged to write blogs about the survey results, including anecdotal information they are seeing within their own organizations.
- Survey results are distributed to the membership through a standalone email, and depending on the survey may also be featured in an e-newsletter.
Sample Survey Time Table
|Summer/Early Fall 2021||Career Services Benchmarking Survey|
|Late December 2020/Early January 2021||Fall Recruiting Trends Survey|
|January/February 2021||GMAC Corporate Recruiters Survey|
|Summer 2020||Recruiter Benchmarking Survey*|
The Recruiter Benchmarking Survey was put on hold in Summer 2020 due to COVID.