Virtual Programming Committee: Webinars
Topics are determined by the Virtual Programming Committee based on current membership/market trends and needs, as well as data collected from MBA CSEA members and the Executive Director. Individual webinars can be focused on a specific subset of the members, but there should be enough webinars provided throughout the year to meet the needs of MBA CSEA's broad member base.
- Determine the topic for the webinar based on the organization’s strategic priorities, member feedback, current industry trends and Executive Director input. Webinars should ideally be confirmed at least four weeks before the event. Content is sourced through the following ways:
- Expert presenters are selected based on their knowledge and experience of the topic. This can include MBA CSEA members or outside presenters. If funding is needed for speaker fees, submit a budget request to the Board Liaison and Executive Director in July/August when the budget requests are made.
- Conference programming that is highly rated could be repurposed/represented.
- Conference programs can be recorded and played as a webinar. This is particularly useful when conferences are held in person in regions where not everyone member has access (such as in APAC or Europe).
- Breakout sessions that were submitted for consideration for one of the conferences but were turned down can be presented as a webinar.
- Discuss possible dates and times based on other committee events and MBA CSEA events. Webinars are scheduled on Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday. The timing that works for most members based on time zones is 11 am EST, however webinars should be scheduled at times that are convenient to members in the APAC region as well.
- Create a draft webinar title and description.
- Make contact with speaker(s) to ask them to present. Inquire about date availability, using the dates initially discussed by the committee. Send them the draft title and description for feedback and approval.
- Once they speaker and date have been confirmed, enter all of the information into the session tracking sheet and notify the Executive Director that it has been entered. The following details are needed:
- Speaker name
- Speaker phone number
- Speaker email
- Session title
- Session description
- Speaker 100-word bio
- Speaker headshot
- Interactive components being used (polls, breakout rooms, etc.)
- Poll questions, if used
- MBA CSEA staff will add the event to the web site and distribute the marketing materials to the membership. Once the event registration is live on the web site, be sure to register for the event so you will receive the login details in the confirmation email.
- MBA CSEA staff will send a reminder with the login details to all registrants with the login details the day of, and just before the event. They will also send the login details, RSVP list and any last minute reminders to the speaker(s) and faciliator at that time. If the speaker is not a member of MBA CSEA and needs the login details in advance of the day-of reminder, the committee lead can provide it to them (it can be found in the confirmation email recevied when registering).
During the Event
The Executive Director or Executive Assistant will log in as the meeting host and handle all technical/administrative aspects of the event including letting participants into the meeting, muting participants as needed, launching polls and opening breakout rooms (if used). As a facilitator, you do not need to have any special technical expertise.
- Log in to the webinar 30 minutes in advance (along with the Executive Director/Executive Assistant and the speakers), using the login information that is sent to all participants upon registration.
- Ask the speaker(s) when they prefer to receive questions (throughout the presentation or at the end). It is recommended that they hold off until the end to make sure they can get through the full presentation and also manage the timing appropriately.
- Ask the speake(s) how they prefer to be introduced (i.e. read their bio from the web site, etc.).
- Handle Q&A, either during or at the end of the presentation. The Executive Director will explain how to do this when you log in 30 minutes prior to the event. Depending on if Zoom webinar or meeting mode is selected, participants will ask questions via the Question box, (which will only be seen by the speakers(s), facilitator and MBA CSEA staff) or the chat (which will be seen to all attendees).
- Introduce the speaker(s) at the beginning and making technical announcements (see sample script below),
- If necessary, remind the speaker(s) about the timeframe and give them a two-minute warning before the close of the webinar. This can be done using the chat feature so as not to interrupt the presentation.
- Close out the event at the end, thanking the speaker(s) and making any necessary announcements (see sample script below).
- Tips for facilitators while speakers are presenting:
- During the presentation, be attentive.
- Mute your phone/audio.
- Keep track of the time; jump in near the end if needed.
- Enter questions for the speakers into the "Question" box that you will see on your screen. Discussion with other attendees can take place through the chat box.
- Communicate with MBA CSEA staff privately via chat with questions if needed.
Good morning! This is ( name_____ ) from (insert organization.) I am a (member) of the MBA CSEA Virtual Programming Committee. Welcome to all of our webinar participants. If this is the first time you’ve joined our event, we are pleased you have decided to experience today’s session. If you are returning, we are pleased that you have joined us again. (If we expect to have guests or have invited attendees other than MBA CSEA members, include a welcome to them specifically by group. For example—MBA Admissions professionals, HR managers)
I have few technology pointers before we begin.
- If using Zoom Webinar mode:
- To avoid disruptions and background noise, we have placed all participants in "listen only mode."
- To ask a question, please use the Q&A box that you will see on the bottom of your screen. These questions will be seen by presenters and faciliators.
- To share something with all attendees, please use the chat box at the bottom of your screen.
- If using Zoom Meeting mode:
- To avoid disruptions, we have muted all participants.
- To ask a question or share something with all attendees, please use the chat box ta the bottom of your screen.
- On the top right side of your screen, you will see an option to select "Gallery view" or "Speaker view." The speaker view will allow you to see only the speakers on your screen.
- This meeting is being recorded, and it will be available in the Document Library, which can be accesed through your login at: www.mbacsea.org.
On to today’s session!
(Insert Webinar title)
Start with a brief intro/several sentences to introduce the topic;
Consider incorporating the following: Why we decided to offer this topic;
Why it is of interest to our members; Did members request this topic? Was it presented at a conference to rave reviews?
Next introduce the speakers and include some information about them.
(Speaker 1 Name)
(Add short bio/relevant information)
(Speaker 2 Name)
(Add short bio/relevant information)
At this point, we are ready to move on to today’s presentation…it is with pleasure that I turn it over to today's speakers.
- Thank the speaker(s) again. If appropriate, share a few takeaways you gained from the session.
- Announce any upcoming MBA CSEA events.